BattleTech fan since the early '90s, game design enthusiast since forever.

Monday, June 28, 2021

[Mal] Was It Monkeys? [/Mal]

[As always, inactivity on my blog is consequent to inactivity in the rest of my life. Can't do anything in depth right nowInstead: UI complaints!]


Bright Mode

@ Google, Reddit, Microsoft, damn near everybody: why does background color still default to WHITE? How is "dark mode" not the standard yet? 


Cookie Jars

When there is the option for dark mode, why must I *add a cookie* to my browser to activate it? Is this really the most efficient way to handle it?

Here's a WTF moment from Comcast:

When you opt out, TrustArc sends your opt-out requests to the companies you selected. The company places a cookie in your browser to indicate you wish to opt out of personalized advertising when serving ads on pages you visit.

It is the Year of Our Lord 2021, in a nation where privacy is #3 and #4 in the Bill of Rights. How is "opt out" being turned into ADDITIONAL TRACKING?

I hear two of the major browsers now let you bar websites from looking at each other's cookies. Good first step! But... why are privacy and security still not *default?*


Shadow Sessions

On June 22, in "incognito" mode, I closed a subreddit tab, reopened it, and found hyperlinks colored with the "already visited" color. Not what I had visited that session, nor another session hours earlier, but from the day before. The next day, pages began pre-coloring "visited" links that I have never visited at all.


Mandatory Autoplay

Why does YouTube's autoplay default to "on?" Why do videos start playing as soon as their tab becomes active even when the tab loaded with the autoplay toggle in the "off" position?

Why does the video player sometimes load videos at lower quality than was selected (e.g., 240p when the label says "360p")? ...and the day after I start drafting this post, I heard someone messing with the external cable hookup, and the issue seemed to clear up...? Does that mean my gigabyte internet can finally play doublespeed 480p without making the connection drop?

No comments :

Post a Comment