BattleTech fan since the early '90s, game design enthusiast since forever.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Final "What Were You Doing Last Year" Post, I Swear

Lots (tons) of unexpected time for reading in those autumn months.
  • War of the Worlds (1898) by H.G. Wells: The archetype for giant robot warfare, and rightly so. Quick and easy to read, this should be required reading for any fan of BattleTech. (I also watched the 1953 movie. It was alright, and the parallels to Cruise's version were neat.)
  • The Time Machine (1895) by H.G. Wells: I'm pretty sure that Willy Wonka's "oompa loompas" are, in fact, the "eloi" from Wells' book.  
  • One Piece (1997-present): Joke-filled. Never fails to amuse. 
  • Yotsuba&! (2003-current): A delightful manga about a small child being a small child. 
  • Attack on Titan (2009-present): Super cliche story about humanity's last stronghold in a world overrun by monsters. Still manages to be fun.
  • Deadman Wonderland (2007-2013): A fighting manga centered on super powered adolescents in a murder-themed theme park. Lots of cliches, but I'm enjoying it. 
  • Vinland Saga (2005-present): A (seemingly) well-researched manga about Vikingdom. Features raiders and mercenaries in France, the conquest of England, and hints at an eventual move to Vinland. Half battles, half slice of life? The art and story remind me of Berserk.
  • Uzumaki (1998-1999): A Lovecraftian saga of weird events in a small town. It starts as a series of loosely connected vignettes; I wish it had continued like that forever. 
  • Sandman (1988-1996) by Neil Gaiman: A well-crafted plot, and mostly good art. I like how the plot of one issue is sometimes seen as background in another issue - usually subtly, though this is also done near the end as a major plot point. There's also an unfair tease at the end, and I'm not sure what exactly Gaiman intended with it.

2 comments :

  1. I've heard really great things about Yotsuba!

    I'll take this as further endorsement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my college friends had a kid, they're like "hey SkilTao! This is a cool series" and I forget for a few years. Then when I rediscovered it I'm like "hey college friends! You have a kid, this is a cool series" because I'm awesome like that.

      Delete