BattleTech fan since the early '90s, game design enthusiast since forever.

Sunday, June 25, 2023

More Cleaning

If I ever pick coding back up, I should:
  • rebuild my "History of BattleTech" chart to be dynamic and interactive;
  • make a widget which scrapes my blog & then graphs my posting activity over time (I guess similar to the visitor activity graph that's already on the back end);
  • figure a way to refactor all these labels;
  • get the archive widget to highlight relevant entries when a "search:label" page is up [Edit, July 3rd: and maybe show how many comments each has /Edit];
  • and make some sort of corkboard viewer for email or message chains, to trace the flow of ideas better. Existing formats (including forum threading, forking and other tricks) aren't totally adequate.

More Blogs Removed:

Forums with BattleTech Threads:

Incidentally, I appreciate how easy it was to copy-paste links into this post from both my "reading list" sidebox and my (now gone) BattleTech Forums sidebox, but:
  • I don't see a "clear formatting" or "format painter" button. I thought it used to have one. No reason to have a bunch of unnecessary inline styles cluttering the html.
  • The pop-up for editing the url of a simple hyperlink appears below the hyperlink in the 'composer' view, and then floats when you scroll to stay fixed relative to your screen, so if it loads partially off your screen you can't interact with it properly without canceling out. [Edit, June 29th: and when I went to fix the urls in the list of de-boxed blogs, the editor kept vanishing when I clicked in the edit URL field! /Edit]
  • I have to switch to html view to edit the url for my "History of BattleTech" chart. The pop-up editor in the composer view seems to have lost some fields.
  • I'm surprised that the layout editor doesn't have the "save" and "cancel" buttons in the same place as the post editor, and (again unlike the post editor) didn't warn me that my changes would be lost when I navigated away.
  • Would be nice to be able to copy the custom formatting from one widget to another. I don't see a way to fix the colors [and spacing] of my title and label cloud, except by returning them to the blue parts of the layout. [Edit, June 29th: luckily they display a little better on my phone than on PC. /Edit]

3 comments :

  1. I'm always psyched to see a blog post by you come up in teh feed. Thanx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Backup your files to an external drive, clear your os partition of anything that doesn't need to be there, never access personal email from a work computer, drink less caffeine, stretch daily, start meditating. -skiltao

      PS: wear sunscreen

      Delete
  2. I have all but given up on blogspot except that it works. RIP vanvelding.com

    ReplyDelete