BattleTech fan since the early '90s, game design enthusiast since forever.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!


Posting three times a week was interesting. My human readership seemed to rise steadily, and American bots even started to outnumber Russian bots. But I am my own primary audience, and I don't want to put stuff out half-baked; so--as I'm sure you've already noticed--I'm slowing down to one post a week, at least through the New Year's.

Ancient History

I wouldn't describe myself as a particular fan of Star Trek, but I have watched an awful lot of it, so I want to give a very belated thanks to Real Life Comics for posting this strip and then hiding my forum post to preserve this gag. It still tickles me.

I'd acknowledge other people who've read me or who I read, but it's late, and I don't have many meaningful things to say which aren't better off being rolled into more topical gaming posts. 

No gaming content today.

I will say I'm amused at how my comment about setting a guard and fighting wargs was followed a week later by commentary here about setting watch and being attacked by dire wolves. Because that's the true meaning of Thanksgiving--not being eaten by wolves.

(One session I played in high school involved a large fraction of the party being eaten by random wolves (there was a recurring chorus of "allll, eaten by wollllllves"), due largely to poor spell casting on my part. I generally choose spells badly and time them badly, which is why I rarely play mages.)

2 comments :

  1. "The franchise is so self-referential, and each series already recycles so many of the same elements, that the way Enterprise (literally? figuratively? both?) builds itself around recycling earlier series is just so incredibly meta that it tickles me."

    Intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it being well structured and self aware, but I don't remember if it stays at the level of plot-recycling and story integration, or if it attains any kind of sophisticated meta-commentary.

      Will try to bring this back up in a few years when you're closing on the end of Voyager.

      Delete